Pages

Sunday 1 March 2015

Well hello there

Blogging: it really does seem like everyone is at it. Our world is so connected - by conversations spanning continents and discussions bridging language barriers - and I think that's beautiful. One of my favourite things in the world is listening to, or reading about, someone who loves something; to someone who's obsessed. I love the way their eyes light up and their words jumble together in mad-excitement. I love how people, separated by oceans, can share their passion for something. It's my obsessions that this blog is really about (trust me I have a lot!): fashion and the ethics of the industry, art, literature, history, culture, society and how we think, what fashion tells us about ourselves, feminism, cat vines, anything glittery, chandeliers... I could go on and on!

This blog is also a way to practice my writing. I've always been fascinated by words and what they can do - how words can, simultaneously, define a singular moment so perfectly and transcend eras and generations. Fashion is like that. By looking at what we wore and what we wrote thousands of years ago we can tell so much about ourselves then and now. Journalism is so important for that; documenting, promoting, critiquing, and discussing society and what we do. My drawer under my bed is brimming with magazines - often love-worn and curling at the edges where I've dropped them in the bath (oops!) - and I've always thought about fashion and culture journalism as a dream career. Hopefully this blog will help me towards that dream!

So, welcome to this strange amalgamation of my musings and thoughts. I apologise in advance for my tendency to ramble (as evidenced above) - brownie points for you if you don't get bored and annoyed with me. I hope you enjoy my pretentious rants about things.

With love,

Esther.

No comments:

Post a Comment